Endless Possibilities Angel Food Cake and Toppings
1 box Betty Crocker (1-Step) angel food cake mix
*see variations below directions*
Preheat oven 350º. Mix the angel food cake mix and desired flavor ingredients
together and beat by hand until blended. Pour into ungreased 9x13 pan (or muffin tin) and bake for 35-40 minutes (muffins bake 15-18 minutes). Cool upside down for best results.
• Lemon: 1 C. plus 3 T. water, 2 T. lemon juice and 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
• Orange Citrus: 1¼ C. water and 2 tsp. grated orange peel
• Cherry: 1 can (20 oz.) cherry pie filling
• Black Forest: ½ C. cocoa to Cherry version
• Cotton Candy: 1 small (3.4 oz.) Jello, any flavor and 1¼ C. water
• Margarita: 1 C. plus 2 T. water, 2 T. fresh lime juice and 1½ tsp grated lime rind
• Pineapple: 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice
• Pina Colada: add 1 T. each coconut and rum extracts to pineapple directions
• Pumpkin: 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin, ¾ C. water, 1 T. vanilla, and 1 T. cinnamon
Endless Possibilities — Sauces, Glazes, and Frostings
• Fresh Blackberry Coulis: Place 4 cups fresh blackberries (or black raspberries) and
¼ C. sugar in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Stir in juice of ½ lemon. Strain through a fine-meshed sieve. Spread on cooled cake.
• Chocolate Sauce: Mix ½ cup water and ½ cup sugar together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add ½ cup unsweetened cocoa and whisk until completely blended. Strain into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Allow to cool. Cover and store refrigerated. Serve warm or cold with angel food cake or over frozen yogurt.
• Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting: Mix together 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1 container (8 oz.) Cool Whip.
• Orange Citrus Glaze:Stir together ½ cup sifted powdered sugar and 1-2 tablespoons orange juice, 1 tablespoon at a time until smooth and drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over completely cooled cake. (Lemon juice can be used for Lemon Glaze.)
• Margarita Glaze: 3 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 3 tablespoons tequila, 3 tablespoons triple sec, and 3 tablespoons water. Combine ingredients in small saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Liberally pierce entire surface of cake with skewer; drizzle glaze over cake. Let stand 10 minutes
• Pineapple Frosting: Mix together 1 container (8 oz.) Cool Whip, 1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix and 1 can (15 oz.) crushed pineapple, mostly drained.